Sam Sullivan campaign Dec 5th, 2007
On December 5, 2007 people across Canada are urged to call, send letters, fax or send packages to Sam Sullivan on the real consequences of opening brothels in Vancouver. In every city where brothels have operated openly there has been a DRAMATIC increase in human trafficking. REED companions women in the fallout of this exploitation and see tremendous damage in women’s lives. Below is a sample letter to send to City Hall. Please make your voice heard and stand for the dignity of all persons!more...
Legalizing Brothels INCREASES Human Trafficking
Mayor Sam Sullivan:
I am concerned about your stated openness to Vancouver’s proposed cooperative brothels.
Decriminalizing brothels will entrench the exploitation of women in Vancouver:
- There is a serious lack of evidence that indoor sex work is safer than street-based.
- There IS evidence that the sex industry has flourished in areas where brothels have been decriminalized.
- Decriminalizing brothels has led to increased human trafficking and child exploitation.
- Those involved in survival sex have been further victimized by the presence of decriminalized brothels as their acceptance curtails the need for exit strategies.
- Those most vulnerable in the sex industry are often pushed further underground or are willing to perform more dangerous services when prostitution is normalized in a municipality.
- I believe that legitimizing prostitution in Vancouver by the approval of the cooperative brothels will further the exploitation of ALL women in our city.
Vancouver can better help prostituted women by promoting sustainable, holistic solutions:
- education and employment strategies for marginalized women,
- more female-specific de-tox beds,
- affordable housing,
- comprehensive exit programs
- preventative education campaigns.
The band-aid ’solution’ of legalized brothels will ultimately serve to increase the number of women exploited by prostitution and trafficking.
- footnotes at www.CanadaCan.blogspot.com